Thursday, June 5, 2014

Plants

I bought plants for the garden.  20 tomato plants and 7 herb plants.  The tomato plants are 11 different varieties of heirloom plants.  I was surprised and pleased to find so much variety at my local greenhouse.  I got Tiny Tim, Black Cherry, Orange Strawberry, Garden Delight, Yellow Pear, Brandywine, Black Krim, Jubilee, Bloody Butcher, Sausage, and Maremmeno.  I paid $1.00 per plant.  That's a lot more than it would have cost to start them from seed, but it was a pretty good deal for such nice plants.  The herbs were a little more expensive, but we'll use all the basil and parsley we can grow.  I tried a pineapple sage this year too, just for the fun of it.  It smelled so good as I brushed my hand over it.  If it grows, I'll have to look up some recipes and figure out what to do with it.

Now I have to get them into the garden.  I have, unfortunately, a lot of weeds growing in my garden right now.  Little, teeny-tiny weeds.  The ones that grow about 2,000 per square foot.  My dad usually comes over and tills up the garden for me, but I've been reading about how that actually turns up the weed seeds and helps them grow, so I'm considering planting without tilling this year.  How to take care of the little weeds is a problem.  The big ones I'm going out to pull right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment