Friday, June 6, 2014

Garden Fresh Greens

I went out to my garden early this morning and picked fresh sorrel today.  Winter has been so long!  It was a healing experience just being able to go out to the garden and pick something to eat.  I lightly sauteed these leaves and ate them for breakfast.

Sorrel isn't my favorite veggie, but anything from the garden tastes good this time of year.  Sorrel is sour and lemony, and sauteed with salt and pepper, it is pretty good.  It is high in oxalic acid, so you don't want to eat too much of it at once.  Not usually a problem here, though my daughters really like to go eat it out of the garden so I have to keep an eye on that.  The chickens also like to eat it.  My garden borders the chicken pen, and they keep the sorrel they can reach through the fence well picked.  I threw a couple of handfuls over the fence to them this morning when I picked mine for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment